15 November 2010

Rice with Sage-Infused White Bean Sauce

I was out of town for most of last week at my company retreat in the Poconos (hence my lack of new posts). To say it was intense would be an understatement. There was a lot of early waking, sitting in sessions, listening to panels, forced group recreational activities, and heavy drinking/carousing until the wee hours. Not to mention unhealthy (and, to be frank, kind of disgusting) food for every meal.

So when I got home, I wanted something that was calming and healthy. I was flipping through one of my handy cookbooks, One Dish Vegetarian Meals, and came across this little gem. It's rice with sauce, which kind of intrigued me. But if you can put sauce on pasta, why not rice?

Turns out it's a great idea. I used chewy, nutty wild rice to give substance to the meal, while the sauce itself is simple but very yummy. Served alongside a simple green salad, this was just what I needed to get myself back on track.


Rice with Sage-Infused White Bean Sauce
From One Dish Vegetarian Meals 
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 carrot, finely chopped
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
  • 1 1/2 cooked or canned Great Northern beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained if canned
  • 2 cups vegetable broth
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • About 2 cups uncooked wild rice
Put the rice on to cook, according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the carrot, onion, garlic, and sage and saute until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Add the beans and broth, bring to a simmer, and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the liquid reduces slightly and the vegetables are very soft. Transfer the bean mixture to a food processor and puree until almost smooth. Transfer the bean puree to a saucepan, season with salt and pepper, and stir. Reheat the sauce over low heat and serve over the hot cooked rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment